What is appbase.io
Appbase.io is a hosted Elasticsearch service with built-in publish/subscribe support for streaming document updates and query results.
It enables you to:
- Build a blazing fast text search, pub/sub based messaging system, or implement a combination of esoteric filters (fuzzy, geo, terms, range, multiple items),
- Stream JSON results directly as new data is added or when the original data is updated,
- Launch in days with our hosted APIs and scale without vendor-lockin by deploying appbase.io on your choice of cloud provider,
Image: appbase.io overview diagram
We have production users running e-Commerce stores, analytics dashboards, feeds, and realtime backends using appbase.io.
There are some catches if you intend to:
- Model financial or sensitive data - Appbase.io is not ACIDic and doesn’t support multi-document transactions. A good design choice in such a situation would be to use something that supports ACID transactions for storing sensitive data, and use Appbase.io for the data that needs to be searchable in realtime.
- Perform analytical processing - Being based on Elasticsearch, appbase.io is designed as an OLTP system although it supports aggregations and queries on data sets of the size of hundreds of gigabytes and even a few terabytes. There are plenty of ideal tools for OLAP use-cases - Amazon Redshift, Google Big Query, Apache Hadoop. appbase.io can be used in a complementary fashion with any of these for handling online transactions.
appbase.io APIs are 100% RESTful, work with JSON and are compatible with Elasticsearch. The publish/subscribe streaming is supported via HTTP Streaming and Websockets.
There are some places we differ from the Elasticsearch. Most importantly, a user in appbase.io only has access to an index or indices, the cluster APIs are managed by appbase.io. Full list of supported endpoints is available at https://rest.appbase.io.
Out of the Box Features
appbase.io offers following advantages over running a raw Elasticsearch cluster / index.
- Built-in Realtime Streaming - appbase.io is the only Elasticsearch service offering a realtime pub/sub API for the entire Elasticsearch Query DSL.
- Security - Read and Write access credentials so your app can directly connect to the appbase.io DB.
- Zero Ops - Automated provisioning, scaling, logging and daily backups so you can enjoy a peace of mind.
- An Active Ecosystem - From UI toolkits to build search interfaces and map UIs, to the leading Elasticsearch data browser to a GUI for writing queries to backend data connectors to import data from SQL, MongoDB, JSON, CSV sources into Elasticsearch, we are actively working on open-standards to improve accessibility of building apps with appbase.io and Elasticsearch.
- No Vendor Lock-in - Hosted APIs often come with a huge lock-in cost. appbase.io is offered as a hosted API as well as a cloud native software container, offering a consistent experience without becoming a walled garden.
Image: appbase.io feature stack overview